Dementia Care at Home
Focus Care Solutions was founded with a commitment to providing the kinds of services for people living with dementia that we would want our own family members to have access to.
Having lived with loved ones who had dementia, we understand the emotional and mental frustration that people living with dementia feel when communicating their needs and thoughts.
With more and more Australians living with dementia, we pride ourselves on using the very best and most recent research on dementia care to inform our services.
Using the Montessori Method
Our Dementia Care at Home Program is based on the principles of the Montessori Method, which uses techniques to engage the senses to help Alzheimer’s and dementia patients re-discover the world around them.
Activities based on hobbies that our clients were engaged in and enjoyed when they were younger can unlock memory, cognition and verbal skills. Being engaged in environments and locations that hold historical significance for individuals including the sights, sounds and scents can also increase recall.
As part of our assessment, we take time to find the unique interests and history of each client and build activities, puzzles, games and short day trips designed to engage them in their day-to-day life.
Focus Care Solutions has been fortunate to have been guided by Anne Kelly, Managing Director, Montessori Ageing Support Services on practical ways to use the principles of the Montessori Method in dementia care.
Some of the ways we endeavour to improve life for people with dementia include:
- Matching – We pair our clients with Focus Care Solutions carer workers who share common interests or alignments, for example matching clients with carer workers who speak the same languages
- Consistency – We ensure the same Focus Care Solutions carer workers attend each time as much as possible
- Scheduling - Carer workers are rostered to attend people with dementia at regular times, either in the morning or at night, whatever works best for the client’s routine
- Engagement – Our carer workers encourage and assist clients to socialise in a way that maintains their verbal and cognitive skills and reduces social withdrawal and isolation
- Health and fitness - Working with our and your physiotherapists and allied health professionals to assist clients in exercise and remaining physically active
- Science - Using the Montessori Method to assist with recall, cognition and verbal skills in creative and practical ways.
Testimonial: Unlocking interests with the Montessori Method as a part of the dementia Care at Home Program
“Mum had always loved ballroom dancing. However, as her dementia progresses she became less mobile and more quiet. A Focus Care Solutions Care Worker got to know Mum and discovered that she became more talkative when watching videos of ballroom dancing, which became a weekly activity, built into her care plan. I can’t believe how much her eyes light up every time.”
John, son of Focus Care Solutions client